In the field of clinical applications
Joint research laboratories
- In France
Since 2002, bioMérieux and the Lyon Civil Hospitals (HCL) have joined forces in two joint research laboratories within the Lyon Sud and Edouard Herriot Hospitals. Their joint 2020-2025 roadmap focuses on three fields of research:
- innovative biomarkers for the diagnosis of severe bacterial infections in Pediatric Emergency and Neonatal Intensive Care Units;
- transcriptomic method for evaluating the immune status of patients in intensive care and identifying those at risk of deterioration in order to provide personalized medicine. Immune testing using ex vivo stimulation complements this approach by characterizing the functionality of immune cells;
- prognostic markers of organ failure, especially kidney failure, evaluated in intensive care patients with multiple injuries whose profile is similar to that of sepsis patients.
- In China
In early 2019, a new joint research laboratory was created with the Shanghai Children’s Medical Center (SCMC). A clinical study of the NEPHROCHECK® test for the early risk assessment of acute kidney injuries in young children following cardiac surgery was conducted. A research project was launched, focusing on severe respiratory disease to assess diagnostic and prognostic markers.
As part of projects funded by the European Commission and under the aegis of IMI*, HORIZON 2020** and EIT Health***, bioMérieux is a partner in several key projects:
- The COMBACTE-CDI (COMbatting BACTerial resistance in Europe) project, dedicated to combatting Clostridioides difficile infections.
- The VALUE-DX project, whose aim is to shift medical practice towards more appropriate, personalized antibiotic prescriptions through the use of diagnostic tests. This study will utilize the BIOFIRE® 2.1 plus (RP2.1plus) Respiratory Panel, which includes SARS-Cov-2.
- The BRAINI (Blood biomarkers to improve management of mild traumatic BRAIN Injury) project, which aims to predict the risk of neurological complications of head trauma using a simple immunological test.
- The DIAMONDS (Diagnosis and Management of Febrile Illness using RNA Personalized Molecular Signature Diagnosis) project, which aims to develop a rapid test to distinguish viral from bacterial infections. This test could help limit antimicrobial resistance and improve care for patients, especially in pediatric emergency rooms.
- The IMPACCT (IMmune Profiling of ICU Patients to address Chronic Critical illness and ensure healThy ageing) project primarily aims to validate the clinical performance of a panel of immune biomarkers on its FILMARRAY® molecular biology platform.
Partnership with the healthcare industry
In 2019, bioMérieux signed an agreement with Entasis Therapeutics through which the U.S. biopharmaceutical company will make use of the BIOFIRE® FILMARRAY® systems and BIOFIRE® Pneumonia Panels to optimize patient recruitment for a phase 3 global clinical trial (still in progress) of a novel antibacterial agent for patients with pneumonia and septicemia caused by the multi-drug resistant bacterium Acinetobacter baumannii.
Since 2019, bioMérieux is partnering with Astellas, a global Japanese pharmaceutical company, regarding the use of NEPHROCHECK® in a drug candidate phase 2 clinical trial to identify patients at risk for acute kidney injury (AKI) following cardiac surgery and to select those who potentially may benefit from this novel drug.
bioMérieux and Baxter, a world leader in the field of intensive care and dialysis, signed an exclusive distribution agreement for Europe and the United States in 2020 for the NEPHROCLEAR™ CCL14 test that is currently in development to predict the risk of severe, persistent acute kidney injury (AKI).
bioMérieux and Sobi, a leading Swedish biopharmaceutical company in the field of rare diseases are partnering for the development and commercialization of CXCL9 as a companion diagnostic test on VIDAS® to accompany Sobi’s IFNy-blocking antibody emapalumab (Gamifant®) in potential treatment of Graft Failure post Hematopoietic
Stem Cell Transplantation. VIDAS® CXCL9 has received breakthrough device designation by FDA in May 2020.
In the field of industrial microbiological control
When it comes to process optimization, bioMérieux is a partner of pharmaceutical customers thanks to the new 3P® range of culture media solutions. This range was designed to digitize and automate environmental controls, often performed manually and therefore time-consuming and prone to errors. The 3P® ecosystem is the product of a fruitful collaboration between the in-house R&D teams for systems, software and culture media. They joined forces with two outside partners, Mirrhia and Interscience.
- The product range includes 3P® SMART PLATES, 3P® CONNECT and 3P® ENTERPRISE. For customers who want to move to the next level by adding automation, our R&D teams are finalizing the development of 3P® STATION, an automated incubation and real-time colony counting system.
bioMérieux leveraged new bioinformatics expertise in the agri-food R&D team to develop a predictive diagnostics solution. To better anticipate contamination risks, it will be possible to map the microbiome of a factory by combining molecular biology with genome sequencing, predictive models and cloud technology. The R&D teams (in biology, bioinformatics and big data) are working on a pathogen mapping solution to better understand the contamination pathways in the factory, which will improve risk management.
* Innovative Medicines Initiative.
** European Research and Development Programme for the period 2014-2020.
*** European Institute of Innovation and Technology for Health, an independent European Union
organization that drives innovation in the healthcare field.