Immunoassays are based on the principle of looking at the body’s immune response to identify or quantify the presence of antigens and/or antibodies in a sample (serum, plasma, blood, etc.) from a patient.
Above and beyond new developments to ensure earlier detection and increasing specificity to improve patient care, today the challenge is to offer immunoassays that are:
- simple and robust, since they are used in both centralized and local laboratories, blood transfusion centers, emergency departments and fertility centers, in both developed and emerging countries;
- as compact as possible, incorporating the latest technologies for miniaturization, easy-to-use and rapid for decentralized testing;
- ultra-sensitive, making it possible to detect disease at a very early stage or quantify new biomarkers that cannot be measured with traditional methods;
- adaptable, for detection using different types of samples or small volumes;
- standardized, according to international calibration standards, so that a patient's results can still be used in the event of a change of laboratory;
- shown to have proven medical value, clinical value and efficacy.
With approximately 35,000 VIDAS® systems worldwide, we have the largest installed base of immunoassay systems in clinical laboratories. Launched in 1991, VIDAS has demonstrated outstanding longevity, due to its robust design and the continuous development of systems and parameters that meet healthcare professionals’ needs.
bioMérieux is constantly expanding the menus available on our automated systems. We pay particular attention to:
- expanding the indications covered by our test range to include unique, high medical-value biomarkers that make it possible to assess the severity and stage of a disease, measure a treatment’s effectiveness, indicate its side effects; and select the patients who are most likely to benefit from a treatment;
- connectivity between our instruments and laboratory information systems;
- remote access to instruments for bioMérieux.