Coupled with the Company’s unique expertise in biology, new technologies will make it possible to develop even faster and more effective diagnostic solutions with a direct, positive impact on the quality of healthcare and industrial control. bioMérieux focuses its technological research in five key areas:
Laboratory automation : Lab Efficiency
Because it is essential to accelerate time to results and optimize laboratory productivity, laboratory automation is a priority focus for bioMérieux. Beyond automating all the steps involved in diagnostics – from handling samples to interpreting results – bioMérieux strives to provide:
- enhanced support for decision-making by biologists,
- real-time data transmission to clinicians,
- remote access to data.
Our goal is to provide actionable, value-added information for clinicians. This is also important in industrial microbiological control, where rapid results are essential for manufacturing to run smoothly and for finished product batches to be released more quickly.
- VITEK® MS, for the identification of bacteria and yeast using MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry technology, came on stream in 2011.
- This new identification solution is fully integrated with bioMérieux’s VITEK® platform, the world’s leading system for identification and automated antibiotic susceptibility testing, via the Myla middleware.
- bioMérieux is pursuing research programs, in particular with the French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA), to prepare new generations of solutions based on mass spectrometry.
Genome sequencing is progressing at a rapid pace and its costs are dropping significantly.
- In December 2015, bioMérieux and Illumina leader in genomic sequencing announced the launch of bioMérieux EpiSeq™, a revolutionary Next-Generation Sequencing service for epidemiological monitoring of bacterial infections.
- bioMérieux continues to explore new technological and biological avenues to reduce the time required for culturing microorganisms, or even avoid this step altogether, which would make it possible to identify and potentially predict bacterial resistance in the space of a few hours.
- These new ultra rapid microbiology techniques would be especially valuable in emergency situations.
bioMérieux can capitalize on the Company’s extensive knowledge of infectious diseases and use information technologies to create new solutions.
- Information about pathogens can be combined with information about diseases, treatments and epidemiology, as well as data specific to each individual patient (their medical history, clinical status and, ultimately, genome).
- By compiling all these data and making use of increased connectivity, it will be possible to develop new services with higher medical value.